Options for addressing child support issues

Manassa & Neugebauer, P.C.

One of the common misconceptions about child support orders is that once a particular amount is ordered, the money is always paid. Even more wishful is the notion that the entire amount is paid on time. The unfortunate reality is that less than half of all support obligations are fully paid on time. According to the latest U.S. Census report, 42 percent of custodial parents do not receive their ordered support payments. For those who do, they commonly do not receive the amount that was ordered.

When support payments do not come as planned, what is a parent to do? This post will provide a few helpful options.

Attaching payment from wages – Also known as “wage garnishment,” the support amount is drawn directly from a person’s paycheck, much like taxes and other common deductions.

Intercepting refunds –The State of Illinois can withdraw past due support from impending federal tax returns (as well as state tax refunds). Additionally, child support can be withdrawn from unemployment payments. For those receiving workers compensation benefits, support arrears can be drawn from these payments as well.

Criminal actions – The State of Illinois also has the option of suspending a person’s driver’s license, as well as denying (or not renewing) a person’s hunting or fishing license due to unpaid support. These prohibitions also apply to professional licenses (i.e. medical, accounting).

Of course, there are other ways of obtaining payment without involving the State’s Attorney’s office. Perhaps there are assets that can be sold in order make up for past payments. To learn more about these options, consult an experienced family law attorney.

Source: Chicago Tribune.com, Swift justice: Child support collection, record expunging and business with family, March 11, 2013

Options for addressing child support issues