Social Security disability can be a valuable asset, especially if you are either limited in the amount of work you can do or no longer able to work. Factor in medical expenses, and it is easy to see why Social Security disability can be something of a lifeline in terms of providing the funds you need to take care of living and medical expenses. Applying for disability usually starts with a phone call to your local Social Security office and includes a phone interview or an in person interview. Unfortunately, most disability claims are denied on your first try. Here are some reasons why you can increase your odds of filing a successful disability claim with an experienced Chicago attorney:
When to Consult an Attorney
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t have to wait until your claim is denied until you consult a lawyer. Properly filing a claim the first time can avoid delays later. This is especially helpful since it can take several months to receive a response from the Social Security Administration on your initial claim. A Chicago attorney experienced in such claims can help you with the paperwork and ensure that all steps are followed in the filing process. Reasons to hire a Chicago attorney to help you with your disability claim include:
- The laws regarding disability claims are complex and change often.
- There are time limits for filing an appeal.
- Legal fees usually come out of your financial award, so you don’t pay out-of-pocket.
- Incorrect filing of a claim can result in a denial or more delays.
- You may have trouble gathering certain information that an attorney can get faster.
Preparing an Appeal
On average, about seven out of ten disability cases are denied during the initial claim process. This means that in addition to waiting the initial several months to get word on your claim, you face more months of waiting. Most appeals result in a hearing before an administrative law judge. A hearing usually takes place about a year or so from when the initial claim was filed. A Chicago lawyer experienced with disability claims can help prepare your appeal, which usually includes:
- Following the correct procedures to speed up the appeals process as much as possible.
- Working with an appellate attorney in Federal Court.
- Gathering additional or evidence to support your claim.
- Gathering new documentation and evidence to support your claim.
- Providing access to experts to further substantiate your claim.
A reliable Chicago attorney will go over your case with you and answer all questions before proceeding with your Social Security disability claim. Usually, an agreement is worked out beforehand to clearly spell out fees and other details. Claiming social security benefits can be a challenging process. If certain procedures aren’t followed, you could face long delays or have your claim denied without receiving fair consideration. An experienced Chicago attorney can guide you through the claims process and greatly increase the odds of having your claim accepted.
For more information related to SSDI, visit the Social Security Disability Center.